Schwarz Gemacht Win 3 Free Theatre Tickets AFROTAK commUNITY promo What is identity? What makes us who we are? Who has the right to define us?
April 16, 2015
Categories: WAAKA ABOUT
Set in 1938 Berlin and drawing heavily upon history, the play imagines a story that examines universal questions of self and citizenship primarily through the eyes of a patriotic Afrodeutscher (Afro-German) actor. Proud to serve his country, he appears in propaganda films calling for the return of Germany’s former African colonies. An encounter with an African-American musician and activist leads to hard questions about the treatment of people of color both in Germany and in the United States of America.
- Written by Alexander Thomas
- Directed by Daniel Brunet
- With Sadiq Bey, Ernest Allan Hausmann, Peter Priegann, Miriam Anna Schroetter and Kerstin Schweers
- Foyer Exhibition and Production Dramaturgy by Aline Benecke
- Set Design by David L. Arsenault
- Lighting Design and Production Management by Christian Maith
- Costume Design by Tamar Ginati
- Sound Design, Composition and Piano Accompaniment by Natalia Lincoln
- Video Design by Noam Gorbat
- Assistant Direction by Joseph Wegmann
- Design Assistance by Matthew Peach
The production of Schwarz gemacht features an exhibition in our foyer exploring the historical themes of the play.
Post-performance discussions with the artistic team and cast will be offered on Friday, April 17 and Friday, April 24.
Tags: Afrika Theater Berlin, Alexander Thomas, David L. Arsenault, Ernest Allan Hausmann, Miriam Anna Schroetter